Luigi Cembalo (MSc, PhD) is full Professor in Agricultural and Resource Economics at the University of Naples Federico II (Italy), Department of Agricultural Sciences. Cembalo has got two MSc degrees: in Agricultural Economics and Policy (Centre of Advanced Training, Italy) and Agricultural and Resource Economics (AREC Department of the University of Arizona, USA), and a PhD in Agricultural Economics and Policy (University of Naples Federico II, Italy). He is Director of the CRISP (Interdepartmental Research Centre on the “Earth Critical Zone” for supporting the Landscape and Agroenvironment management) and of the SESS (Social-Ecological Systems Simulation Centre). Cembalo is research fellow at the AREC Departament (University of Arizona, USA).
His current research interests are related to agribusiness, with a specific focus on innovation, sustainability, ecosystem services economic evaluation, and circular bio-economy. His research interests are also related to microeconometrics, consumer attitudes and behaviors through hypothetical and non-hypothetical methods, working on advanced quantitative consumer choice methodologies (such as choice modeling and experimental economics) and analyzing the resulting data by econometric methods. Prof. Cembalo is member of prestigious national and international scientific association. He has been involved in several research projects as PI and Co-I, such as H2020 projects, FP7 EU projects and PRIN projects financed by the Italian Ministry of University and Research.
Dept. of Agricultural Sciences
Via Università 96 – 80055 Portici, Naples, Italy
Tel. +39 081 2539065
- Borrello, M., Cembalo, L., & Vecchio, R. (2021). Role of information in consumers’ preferences for eco-sustainable genetic improvements in plant breeding. Plos one, 16(7). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0255130
- Borrello, M., Cembalo, L., & Vecchio, R. (2021). Consumers’ acceptance of fungus resistant grapes: Future scenarios in sustainable winemaking. Journal of Cleaner Production, 307 DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.127318
- Lerro M., Yeh C.H., Klink-Lehmann J., Vecchio R., Cembalo L. (2021). The effect of moderating variables on consumer preferences for sustainable wines. Food Quality and Preference, 94, 104336. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodqual.2021.104336
- Borrello M., Pascucci S., Caracciolo F., Lombardi A., Cembalo L. (2020). Consumers are willing to participate in circular business models: A practice theory perspective to food provisioning. Journal of Cleaner Production, 259, 20. DOI: 1016/j.jclepro.2020.121013
- Borrello M., Pascucci S., Cembalo L. (2020). Three propositions to unify circular economy researches: a review. Sustainability, 12(10), 4069. DOI: 10.3390/su12104069
- Cembalo L., Caso D., Carfora V., Caracciolo F., Lombardi A., Cicia G. (2019). The “Land of fires” Toxic Waste Scandal and its Effect on Consumer Food Choices, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16, 165. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16010165
- Lombardi A., Vecchio R., Borrello M., Caracciolo F., Cembalo L. (2019). Willingness to pay for insect-based food: the role of information and carrier, Food Quality and Preference, 72, 177-187. DOI: 10.16/j.foodqual.2018.10.001
- Lerro M., Caracciolo F., Vecchio R., Cembalo L. (2018). Consumer’s side of Corporate Social Responsibility: a nonhypothetical study, Journal of Consumer Affairs, 52(3), 689-710. DOI: 10.1111/joca.12182
- Lerro M., Vecchio R., Caracciolo F., Pascucci S., Cembalo L. (2018). Consumers’ heterogeneous preferences towards corporate social responsibility in the food industry, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 25(6), 1050-1061. DOI: 10.1002/csr.1519
- Borrello M., Caracciolo F., Lombardi A., Pascucci S., Cembalo L. (2017). Consumers’ Perspective on Circular Economy Strategy for Reducing Food Waste, Sustainability (Switzerland), 9(1), 141. DOI: 10.3390/su9010141
- Cembalo L., Caracciolo F., Lombardi A., Del Giudice T., Grunert K.G., Cicia G. (2016). Determinants of individual attitudes toward animal welfare-friendly food products, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 29(2), 237-254. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-015-9598-z
- Pascucci S., Dentoni D., Lombardi A., Cembalo L. (2016). Sharing values or sharing costs? Understanding consumer participation in alternative food networks, NJAS – Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, 78, 47-60. DOI: 10.1016/j.njas.2016.03.006
- Migliore G., Schifani G., Romeo P., Hashem S., Cembalo L. (2015). Are farmers in alternative food networks social entrepreneurs? Evidence from a behavioral approach, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 28(5), 885-902. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-015-9562-y
- Lombardi A., Migliore G., Verneau F., Schifani G., Cembalo L. (2015). Are “good guys” more likely to participate in local agriculture? Food Quality and Preference, 45, 158-165. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodqual.2015.06.005
- Caracciolo F., Cembalo L., Lombardi A., Thompson G. (2014). Distributional effects of maize price increases in Malawi, Journal of Development Studies, 50(2), 258-275. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2013.833319
- Cembalo L., Pascucci S., Tagliafierro C., Caracciolo F. (2014). Development and Management of a Bio-Energy Supply Chain Through Contract Farming, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 17(3), 33-52
- PRIN-DRASTIC (P.I.) 2020-2023: Driving the Italian Food System into a Circular Economy Model – funded by the Italian Minister of University and research.
- BIODEGRAPACK (P.I.) 2020-2022: Bioplastic related project for organic food packaging – funded by the Italian Minister of Agriculture and Forestry Policies.
- ECOSTACK (WP leader) 2018-2023: Develop and support ecologically, economically and socially sustainable crop production via stacking and protection of functional biodiversity – EU H2020 project.
- LANDSUPPORT (Task leader) 2017-2022 (Ended April, 2022): Development of Integrated Web-Based Land Decision Support System Aiming Towards the Implementation of Policies for Agriculture and Environment – EU H2020 project.